Until 1927 the Pasadena Audubon Society had met in people’s homes. In that year PAS began meeting in the Pasadena Public Library. In the early 1970’s concerns developed about the difficulty of parking in the Library area and about the safety of walking around the downtown area at night in poorly lit areas.
PAS President Arden Brame (1971-1976) proposed bringing the meetings to the Eaton Canyon Nature Center where there was a well-lit convenient parking lot, an auditorium with superior acoustics, a library where books could be housed and where refreshments could be served. The proposal was not without controversy and one former PAS President wrote a letter in the Wrentit opposing the change.
After consideration of the issues, the PAS Board of Directors voted 10-1 to make the move and the decision was put up to the General Membership at the March 17, 1972 meeting. The vote in favor was 35-10. However most abstained having not had the time to consider the matter.
The vote was reintroduced at the April and May meetings with the same result.
That year PAS moved to the McCurdy Nature Center in Eaton Canyon. Not long after the move the Center was rebuilt emerging as the Eaton Canyon Nature Center. During the time of construction PAS temporarily met at the LA County Arboretum before settling permanently in the new Center.
Arden Brame, addition to being PAS President, was also Director of the Eaton Canyon Nature Center from 1965-1978. He developed a profound interest in the settlement of Eaton Canyon in the post-Native American era. He presented a program on this history and development at the PAS meeting of May 20, 1983.
Arden was a biologist with a particular interest in salamander s and wrote over 50 scientific articles. On February 27, 2004 he was interviewed by Don Rogers in preparation for the 100th anniversary celebration of the Pasadena Audubon Society. He died 6 months later.